Shielfield park is situated on
the south side of the River Tweed, just a mile
off the A1. Industry and housing surround Shielfield which also plays host
to Berwick Bandits Speedway. Berwick haven't always played at Shielfield
Park, the original ground was not too far from the seafront on the Pier
fields but they haven't played their football there for over one hundred
years. A move to Bull Stob Close came about in the early 1900's before a
move to Union Park. In the 1930's they moved again, this time to Old
Shielfield Park which is adjacent to the current ground. In 1954 aided by
the gate receipts from a quarter final tie at Ibrox Berwick made their final
move to Shielfield Park.
Berwick bought Bradford City's
old stand in 1954. The stand was dismantled, driven north and reassembled by
supporters and officials alike.
The Ducket Enclosure was improved during the 1970's with a new roof. In 1992
the Football Trust partly funded a new stand to bring the ground up to
league standards. An SFA Cup match against Ross County saw the capacity
reduced to just 600 as a new roof was required on the main stand. Nowadays
we have one of the best playing surfaces in the lower leagues- infact it's
probably the best, this is thanks to 'P' Oliver and the ground staff.
main stand houses 1,366 fans, not that we've ever had that many fans in the
current stand. The Ducket can hold just over 2,500 and is partly covered by
a metal roof. The rest of the terrace is open so we can enjoy the lovely
Berwick sunshine! The area's to either side of The Ducket are grass banking
so you can even sun bathe at half time. The distance between the pitch and
the stand & terrace has been known to have a detrimental effect on the
general atmosphere of the ground.
The ground is actually owned
by the supporters club, and not the football club. Effectively, the
supporters are the football club's landlords.